Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Clarification

So you may or may not know this about me I'm currently a Middle Eastern studies major so you may naturally assume a few things about me. Shall I clarify what you may be thinking???

Yes, I think I shall.

While I am thankful for my freedom and all those that have sacrificed SO much for me, the more I know about what my country has done, the more I'm concerned about what we've done.

I'm not a bleeding heart nor am I a right wing nut, I believe in being educated and then acting upon that knowledge to the best of my ability and my conscience.

I'm not joining any radical terrorist groups.

When I tell you that I'm interested in the Middle East, that is NOT an open invitation for you to ask me whatever rude question you feel like. I don't have to answer to you, I'm not asking or seeking your permission to follow something I'm interested in so please don't act like I need it because I know I don't.

When I tell you that I'm learning Arabic, that again doesn't warrant you're stamp of approval or disapproval. Also you asking "Why?" with a snotty look on your face really just shows me how IGNORANT you are.

While I am not a Muslim I respect and honor their right to believe what they want and think that in a country such as this they should be allowed to practice those beliefs without fear of harassment.

I think that people need to respect the fact that we all have the same right to free speech; that DOESN'T mean you have to AGREE with what someone else is saying, but you do need to respect that right.

It really wouldn't kill you to learn about another religion/country/area/point of view.

Shukran!!
Miss Kayla

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I agree...I tend to feel the same way about doing immigration law. People don't understand and are really quick to judge.

    ReplyDelete